Timeless landscapes, stunning architecture, kind and courteous locals and a stunning traditional culture that blends exquisitely with modern life: Japan is a masterpiece. Explore at your own pace with this wonderful 10 day Traditional Japan by Rail package.
Explore Nikko’s most famous sightseeing spots, ride a bullet train to Nagano, discover the Edo-era districts of Kanazawa and admire the landscaped gardens of Kenrokuen Garden.
Explore Shirakawago, Takayama, see the castle town of Nagoya and so much more!
Your package includes return international flights, accommodation, breakfast daily, sightseeing and more.
See Inclusions for more.
Day 1: Australia –– Tokyo
Depart Australia today on your overnight flight to Tokyo.
Please note: Some flights may depart 1 day later
Day 2: Tokyo
Welcome to Japan! Following customs, immigration formalities and baggage collection. Then make your own way to your hotel.
Please note: You have been provided with a 7 day JR Rail Pass. Please do not activate your rail pass this day.
Tokyo, Japan’s bustling capital, mixes the ultramodern and the traditional, from neonlit skyscrapers and anime shops to cherry trees and temples. The opulent Meiji Shinto Shrine is known for its towering gate and surrounding forests. The Imperial Palace sits amid sprawling public gardens. The city is famed for its vibrant food scene, and its Shibuya and Harajuku districts are the heart of its trendy teen fashion scene.
Day 3: Tokyo (B)
Today, you’ll need to activate your JR Rail Pass voucher. This can be done at any major train station at the JR Office. JR staff speak good English and make the whole process easy and understandable.
Today is free at leisure to enjoy Tokyo
Day 4: Tokyo –– Nagano (B)
When you are ready board the Shinkansen Bullet Train for Nagano.
On arrival, make your own way to your hotel where the rest of the day is at leisure.
Day 5: Nagano – – Kanazawa (B)
When ready, head back to Nagano JR station to board the bullet train to the Kanazawa. On arrival, make your way to your hotel before enjoying the rest of the day at your own leisure.
Kanazawa known for well-preserved Edo-era districts, art museums and regional handicrafts. Kenrokuen Garden, begun in the 17th century, is celebrated for its classic landscape designs incorporating ponds and streams and home to one of Japan’s best preserved feudal gardens.
Day 6: Kanazawa – – Takayama (B)
Enjoy the morning free at leisure to explore Kanazawa.
In the afternoon, take a train to Takayama. Takayama is a city in Japan’s mountainous Gifu Prefecture. The narrow streets of its Sanmachi Suji historic district are lined with wooden merchants’ houses dating to the Edo Period.
Day 7: Takayama (B)
Today, enjoy the day exploring the historic city of Takayama.
Day 8: Takayama –– Nagoya (B)
Today board a train to the southern city of Nagoya. On arrival, the day is at leisure to explore the city at your own pace.
Nagoya developed as the castle town of the Owari, one of the three branches of the ruling Tokugawa family during the Edo Period. Much of the city, including most of its historic buildings, were destroyed in the air raids of 1945. The Toyota Motor Corporation maintains its headquarters just outside of Nagoya.
Day 9: Nagoya – – Osaka/Tokyo – – Australia (B)
Today there is free time before transferring yourself to the airport to board your homeward flight. From Nagoya you can board the bullet train to Osaka/Tokyo before transferring to the Osaka/Tokyo airport.
Day 10: Australia
Arrive home today.
- Click Frenzy Mayhem on NOW! Book before 23 May to enjoy 10%* OFF this incredible experience
- Return international airfares with a full service airline, including 23kgs checked luggage
- 7 Day JR Rail Pass, in ordinary class
- 7 nights in centrally-located standard 3* twin share accommodation
- Breakfast daily
- Weekly departures to best suit your schedule
Please note: This is a self-guided (independent) tour. No escorted guide is included
- Enjoy the flexibility to experience Japan in your own style on this self-guided rail package
- Ride the technological marvel, the Shinkansen Bullet train
- Savour the freedom of using Japan’s world class rail network to explore at your own pace
- Daily departures to best suit your schedule
How to book:
To book your Tour:
- Bookings essential
- Voucher valid for 1 person (must purchase 2 vouchers)
- Once booked and confirmed, no cancellations permitted
- Must book at least 90 days prior to departure.
- Book early to secure your desired date and time
- A deposit of $1,009 per person are due at the time of purchase in order to secure your date.
- Final Payment is due 120 days prior to travel and will be collected by our Travel Partner. If you book within 120 days of travel, you will be sent an invoice within 7 days for final payment.
- Up to 12 Months Interest Free available: https://exclusives.webjet.com.au/up-to-12-months-interest-free/
- Invoices will be emailed to you in advance and it is your responsibility to ensure payments are made prior to the due date
- Should payment not be received by the due date, your booking will be cancelled and all prior payments will remain strictly non-refundable.
- Your tour is subject to availability at the time of your booking. We advise you to book early to avoid disappointment.
$700 per person in addition to the twin share voucher.
Payable direct to our Travel Partner at the time of booking
Triple Share: Not available
Group Sizes: 1-2
All room types (Twin, Double, Single) are on a request basis only and cannot be guaranteed.
Tokyo: Hotel Hokke Club Asakusa or similar
Nagano: Hotel Sun Route Nagano or similar
Kanazawa: Kanazawa mystays Hotel Castle or similar
Takayama: Takyama City Four seasons or similar
Nagoya: Nagoya Ekimae Monblanc Hotel or similar
Please note: Unlike western hotels, Japanese rooms can be small in size, only offer twin bedding or have limited in-room facilities like tea & coffee or satellite TV.
Excludes: Travel insurance, Visas, Personal expenses, Anything not mentioned or “optional” in the itinerary.
Travel Insurance: We strongly recommend that all customers purchase Travel Insurance as soon as they make a purchase on our website. Help cover yourself for the unexpected with Webjet Travel Insurance, we highly recommend it. Click here for a quote.
Visas: Visas are not included. It is the traveller’s responsibility to ensure they meet the visa requirements for the country they are visiting. Webjet Exclusives is unable to provide visa advice.
For Visa assistance, please visit Webjet’s Travel Visa Service page
Any deposits paid at the time of purchase are non-refundable.
*Click Frenzy Sale: Enjoy 10% off all tours and resorts world wide, excluding Scandinavia and Canada & Alaska deals departing in 2020, Sea World Resort Holiday package and 9 day Impressions of Japan tour departing in 2020. Offer is valid from 23:59 Monday 20 May until 23:59 Thursday 23 May 2019 (AEST). A cash back will be refunded to your method of payment within 30 days of completing your booking. The amount returned will be based on the tour price, not the total cart value at checkout. For example, a tour priced at $2,000 will receive $200 cash back per couple, even if two passengers have been added to the cart totalling $4,000. I.e. the $200 cash back amount applies to a couple who has purchased two tours priced at $2,000 each, and will not be based on their total cart value of $4,000. Land only bookings are valid for cash back, per couple. If the booking is cancelled, the booking will not be eligible for cash back. Can be used for multiple bookings. Cannot be applied to prior purchases or bookings. Cannot be used in conjunction with other offers. This offer is non-transferrable and cannot be exchanged in any other form. All deals are subject to availability at the time of purchase. Webjet Exclusives standard terms and conditions apply.
6 May 2019
13 May 2019
20 May 2019
27 May 2019
3 June 2019
10 June 2019
17 June 2019
24 June 2019
1 July 2019*
8 July 2019*
15 July 2019*
22 July 2019
29 July 2019
5 August 2019
12 August 2019
19 August 2019
26 August 2019
2 September 2019
9 September 2019
16 September 2019
23 September 2019*
7 October 2019*
14 October 2019*
21 October 2019*
28 October 2019
4 November 2019
11 November 2019
18 November 2019
* $300 per person surcharge applies
** $600 per person surcharge applies
Payable direct at the time of booking
Bookings not accepted when within 45 days of departure
Surcharges may apply to some dates, please see the availability calendar for more details
Availability on Departure Dates listed in Fine Print is subject to change. True availability is shown on the availability calendar after clicking on the BOOK NOW button
- Return economy airfare with China Southern (or similar) departing Sydney or Melbourne.
- Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth Customers – A $250 Interstate surcharges applies per person
- Including minimum 15kg of checked baggage per passenger (actual limit is subject to airline).
- One return airfare is supplied per voucher
- Names cannot be changed once flights have been booked.
- The airfare remains non-refundable at all times.
- Note that the total length of the package includes time spent in flight as specified in the itinerary
- Some flights may depart a day before/after, involve up to 2 transits, stopover or a substitute airline. These changes are beyond our control and will be confirmed upon booking.
- Once your flights are confirmed and ticketed, flights are non-refundable and non-changeable. Full names (First, Middle & Surname) as per passport must be provided for ticketing.
- Please Note, flight itineraries will not be provided until 30 days prior to departure. If your travel dates are within 30 days of purchase you will be provided with your itinerary within 7 days.
- Airline schedule changes or cancellations can happen from time to time and are beyond our control. The customer is responsible for reviewing their flight schedule prior to their departure. Webjet Exclusives endeavours to assist customers where possible, however should any change or cancellation occur, please contact your Travel Insurance provider to check whether you are covered by your policy.
If you wish to modify the promotional airfare included in your Webjet Exclusives package, the following Flight Variations can be requested:
- Early arrival
- Late departure
- Upgrade to Premium Economy or Business Class where available
- Airline of your choice where available
A $250 per person “breakaway” charge will apply per person plus any applicable fare and tax difference.
In order to obtain a quote for your requested variations, you must purchase your vouchers first and submit your request via the online booking form. On this form will be a section highlighted “Flight Quote Request”. You must complete the mandatory information in this section to be provided with an accurate quote.
PLEASE NOTE: No flight requests/quotes/upgrades will be actioned until your final payment has been made. After this time our Flight specialists will contact you in relation to your request. Payment of the breakaway fee and any applicable fare and tax difference must be paid at time of quotation in order to confirm your flights.
If choosing to deviate from the travel itinerary, please note that airport transfers will NOT be included and you must arrange any additional accommodation and transfers at your own expense. Our travel partner can assist in these additional arrangements.
Flights are booked in departure date order and we endeavour to send you this information 30 days before departure, if not sooner.
Once flights have been confirmed and ticketed, any voluntary changes made thereafter will incur a change fee plus any fare and tax difference.